Tuesday, May 27, 2008

A Great Cause

I met Mandy through my sister in law Steph. She recently got in touch with me and said she was training with Team in Training to do the half marathon in November. She has been praying for James and ask if she could run in his honor. Please support her by prayer, encouragement, or giving because she is running to help find a cure!

I am running w/Team in Training for the Leukemia and Lymphoma Society...to donate click on the link below...THANKS!
-Mandy Sand


Monday, May 26, 2008

It's a bird, it's a plane, it's Super James

James loved having a towel wrapped around him like a cape. He ran up and down the hall several times.

She is getting there-it won't be long before she is walking!!!

We have had another rough week in terms of sickness. Thursday night Greg and I started feeling bad and have dealt with coughing, congestion, and aching all weekend. I have felt better today but Greg is going to have to go to the doctor tomorrow. James and Adrianne still have a runny nose but don't seem to be coughing quite as much. Today however James ran a low grade fever. Since it was a holiday we had to call the inpatient floor to see what we needed to do. Because his counts have been good we got to monitor him from home. He didn't have fever when he went to bed and he seemed like he felt good. Please pray that whatever virus has gotten a hold of this house goes away soon and for good. Thank you for praying!

Monday, May 19, 2008

A Crazy week

I haven't posted in over week because of all the sickness at our house! Both James and Adrianne have been fighting a runny nose that has slowly progressed into a runny nose and cough. On Tuesday afternoon I got Adrianne up from her nap and she had 102.4. I called the pediatrician and they had me bring her in. After a full exam and blood work they said it was viral and it would probably be a couple before days before her fever broke. On Wednesday she woke up with more fever and we managed it all day. On Thursday Adrianne had fever and in an effort to keep James well I gave him a vitamin C which he promptly threw up all over me. He also began to run a low grade fever and the nurse at MD Anderson said we could get blood work done with the pediatrician here in the Woodlands. His blood work turned out fine. Friday he began to run a low grade fever and I called his doctor and she decided she wanted him to come in and have his port cultured and another CBC done. Also on Friday Adrianne's fever had broke and she was beginning to feel better. We returned on Friday night-James counts were fine and Adrianne had broken out in a rash which confirmed she has roseolla(sp?). James and Adrianne's cough has gotten worse over the weekend. Tonight before bed James was coughing so much he threw up again and he had a temp around 99. So we shall see what tomorrow holds!!!!! As always we covet your prayers.

Sunday, May 11, 2008

Happy Mother's Day

This weekend has certainly been a tough one. The steroids have affected him alot worse this time. I just gave James his last dose for our 5 days so pray they get out of his system fast. He is still limited on communication but from what we can tell his legs really hurt.
Church was great. Adrianne was dedicated and then we went to lunch with the family. All in all it was a great mothers day and I am so glad the steroids are over(until the next month!)

Thursday, May 8, 2008

Roid Rage at Its Finest

This is how its been for the last 30+ minutes and he is still crying. I have offered everything in my pantry and the only thing that got a moments relief was the ice cream scoop. Please pray for our next several days!!!

Wednesday, May 7, 2008

More Chemo?

Today was our clinic day and we good good results. First of all one of James' doctors has been on maternity leave since the middle of March. She couldn't believe how big he had gotten. That was nice for me to hear because I am constantly thinking he is small and wanting him to grow. Second we got his counts back and they were great. His ANC is 9000 so they up his dosage of methotrexate. The way I understand this is they want the ANC to be around 1000-2000 so that he can fight infection. When it gets as high as 9000 it lets them know he needs more chemo because they want the chemo to suppress his immune system so that leukemia doesn't come back. Hopefully I don't sound too confusing in my effort to explain. Third they don't want to see us back until June 4th--we have officially gone month to month. I still ask for your prayers-no sickness, no infections,minimal side effects. He did start steroids today and will be done on Sunday(a great mothers day gift!!!)

Here is a picture of our big boy right before we left for clinic.

Sunday, May 4, 2008

Gearing up for Steroids

We have had a great couple of weeks since our last clinic visit. We are scheduled to go this week for his antibiotic and vincristine(chemo). He will also begin steroids on Wednesday. Please pray for us as we gear up for steroids. I keep thinking that one of these days it's going to get easier on him. Pray for minimal side effects and that Greg and I have the patience we need to handle whatever situation comes our way. I also ask that you pray for Greg. He has been having abdominal pain so he went to the doctor on Friday. They ordered a CT scan and have initially diagnosed it as diverticulitis. His doctor also wants him to see a GI doctor as well. Right now he is being treated with antibiotics and is feeling better. Please pray for the doctors to have clarity and wisdom. We know that it is very treated and can be managed but we feel like this is "one more thing". Thank you so much for your prayers.