Wednesday, January 30, 2008

He's a Champ

Well it was another record day at the clinic. We left at 6:15am and were home by 11am. James never ceases to amaze me. To give you an idea what a morning is like...I get him up about 30 minutes before we leave. Right before we walk out the door I have to put this numbing cream on the site where his port is so that it will be pain free when they access him. Usually this is a fight but this morning no complaints. We get to the clinic and they almost take us back immediately to draw his labs. This involves them taking the cream off, sterilizing it with alcohol, inserting a needle, drawing blood, and then flushing it. Again we usually get some resistance towards this process but today he sat there like a big boy and watched the nurse do the whole thing. Then we had to take vitals-he sat in my lap and didn't move a muscle while they got his blood pressure and temperature. Like I said, he never ceases to amaze me with his courage.

His labs looked great--hemoglobin 10.2, platelets 265, and his ANC was 2800. So we don't go back for another 2 weeks and at that time he will get vincristine and start steroids over again for another 5 days(yuk!) Thank you so much for your continued prayer and support.

1 comment:

Michael and Jana said...

Look at those numbers! They look great! What a big boy. It is crazy what these boys are able to get "used to".
I think of you often on our trips to the clinic. I always wonder if you are in the Starbuck's line at the same time I am (of course, not on LP days though). Glad you day was good, too!